DON'T PLAY ALONE...
Man of Medan - the first game in The Dark Pictures Anthology. Every game in The Dark Pictures Anthology - a series of intense, standalone horror games – will be playable in multiplayer! There are two modes - Shared Story (online 2 player co-op) and Movie Night (up to 5 players offline couch play).
The story of Man of Medan starts off on a dive boat in the South Pacific. With a rumoured WWII wreck to find, and plenty of on-deck partying to be had, our group of 4 young Americans and their skipper Fliss get ready for what should be the trip of a lifetime…but it doesn’t go quite to plan. As the day unfolds, and a storm rolls in, they find themselves trapped on board a ghost ship. Subjected to unimaginable stress and terror, they must try to find a way to escape the ship and its sinister history.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Setting up the levels from start to finish in the in-house storyboard tool.
- Creating the moment-to-moment flow and logic for branching narratives
- Blocking out gameplay in white-box levels.
- Translating prototypes into game ready logic and iterating on them over the course of development.
- Scripting cinematic sequences, integrating animation data, instantiating cameras and other game elements and interactions
- Balancing & adjusting the pacing of the sequences based on playtesting and Game Director feedback.
As a Designer on Man of Medan , i had to bounce between Level Designer and Cinematic Designer on a regular basis. Implementing not only the base level flow, scripted events ( such as jump scares), interactions and of course fixed angle cameras for exploration segments, but also having to apply my cinematography knowledge, to craft film-like shots that would serve as the cinematic presentation of the bulk of the levels.
Of particular note, "Water Attack" and "Drowning" were two sequences in the game that I had strong ownership over, and had to iterate on them over the course of development, to better suite the pacing, horror and overall feel as outlined by the Game Director.